Thursday 3 May 2012

My Face Isn't a Canvas, Thanks

Recently, I've begun a mission to un-educate myself (as some of you may know from my other blog), meaning, basically, to do what I want to do, instead of agreeing to stuff that I think is stupid just because I'm a teenager.

I started my mission by deleting my Facebook and Twitter. Now I'm a real person, through and through. Not a virtual one. I mean, how superficial are those sites? The basis of Twitter is basically to post multiple statuses (stati? ....statuses) about menial (....)stuff and expect people to care about it. Facebook is basically now a popularity competition about who can get the most 'friends' or 'likes' or whatever.

I don't have any problem with people who do use these sites, but personally I feel ridiculous sharing statuses about all the menial things that are going on in my pretty uninteresting life. I also hate the sense of popularity and friendship that it lulls you into... I have talked to people on Facebook that I've never talked to once in my life. It makes friendships easy; friendships aren't meant to be easy. You're meant to work for them, and it's the work that you both put into a friendship that makes it strong and comfortable and stops people from just turning away.

It's a whole world that exists that doesn't exist. I know that doesn't make any sense literally, but I cannot think of any other way to describe the social phenomenon that is the virtual social network of 2012.

The thing that scares me most about things like Facebook and Twitter is not that it's all that a lot of people talk about, or that there's more people on Facebook today than there was people on Earth 400 years ago, it's that there are now gatherings and parties that are designed for people to go to specifically exchange names with people so they can pick them up as friends on Facebook. It's like this virtual world is seeping into the real one.

So, now that you've caught up and I have finished ranting about social networking sites, the next step to my un-education is not wearing foundation. It's bad for your skin and, I think, bad for your self esteem. It's hard for me to give it up; my skin is my biggest insecurity, but I can't help but feel guilty when I put make up on in the morning - I feel like I'm being dishonest. And for what? For who? I don't care what random people I see on the street think about my skin, and the people that I would like to surround myself with wouldn't care what my skin looks like anyway.

I get that it's expected now for women to wear makeup, but why? How can makeup cover up ugliness? It cuts clean to the bone.

So I have decided to become someone, not something.


My Face Is Not A Canvas


Life's too short to waste time on pretense. Laugh, and enjoy life the way you want to. Because, in the end, if you don't love yourself, then who will? There is beauty in imperfection, and until you realise that, you will never be able to truly love or be loved. If you love me, you're going to have to take the good with the bad. 



No comments:

Post a Comment