Thursday 21 June 2012

untitled for now...


WARNING: IGNORE THE MUSIC



While this video isn't exactly P-G at times, it epitomises exactly what my style is - the kind of west coast, golden, desert-dry grunginess, paired with western themes, leather and a lot of movement and flashes of colour.

This video (despite the supposed music), I found really inspiring. For the last... I don't know how long... But for the last longlonglonglong time,  I've wanted to have a glitter and powder paint fight. This has made me take action (finally); there are powder paints stored under my bed as I write this.

The photos below are a bit like what I want to do with paints... But not quite...

I love the colours in this one, they're so vibrant...
I think the key is to use a fairly plain background, and to really incorporate the colours without order or abandon.
I also like the almost spontaneous feel that this photo has - like it was just a snapshot of a few friends after an actual fight, not like it was planned at all. I think that one of the factors that contributes to this feel is their expressions, and the way that one guy isn't looking at the camera, and appears to be looking and smiling at something else, also giving the photo more context.
This photo is, technically, what I will try to achieve. The perfectly formed explosion of colour against a plain background, photographed on an extremely high shutter speed.
However, I don't actually like this photo. If I were to do it, I would make the colours more vibrant, and I would probably put the woman on the third, as I think that she's in kind of a weak position at the moment.
I'd also like to do things with glitter and incorporating expressions - I'd want it to look like fun, real and spontaneous, like the picture above.

 This one I like a bit better, as I like the fading light in the background and the more vibrant colours... It gives the photo more of a story, more context, whereas the photo above looks like it's very controlled; just a photo of some model, taken in a studio. Unlike the girl in this photo, the model probably just stood there as an assistant threw paint at her face, and the smears of paint on her cheek were probably strategically drawn on by a highly paid make up artist.
I love this photo because it's not pretentious... It seems like a friend took it, and the girl is smiling.
 I like the way that there are three, which makes the photo more balanced than if there were two or four subjects. I also like the way that you can quite clearly see the relationship between the girls... They look like they're friends which, again, gives it the context that I keep talking about.
This has also given me the idea to put powder paint in someone's hair and then have them shake their head...
 This one, again, looks too polished and forced for my taste... However, I do really like the extremely colourful and bright bit in the top left hand corner near her head.
I like the directional lighting, which is another thing that I could try to use when I attempt to do this photoshoot. The light brings out more dimensions and contrasts in the paint; it makes it look more 3d and less like an amorphous cloud of stuff.
I like this because he looks like a funny guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment